Kingsmead School officially achieved specialist status in the Performing and Visual Arts in September 2006.
As an arts school, we are recognised:
- As a centre of excellence for Art, Drama, Dance, Graphics, Media, Music, Photography, and Textiles.
- For developing and sharing best practice for improving educational standards both within Kingsmead School and schools within the borough of Enfield.
- For outstanding teaching and learning in the arts subjects.
- For imaginatively using the arts to develop and enhance achievement in all subjects.
- For offering our students enriched opportunities in extra-curricular activities.
- For working actively and effectively with out partners in the local education community and the wider community at large.
- Analysis of GCSE results showed that the specialist schools programme is having a positive long-term impact on secondary school achievement, with innovative and creative activities continuing to deliver substantial additional value to students.
Upon gaining specialist status, a school receives additional funding from central government. At Kingsmead this has allowed us to redevelop our school hall, it has now become a 280 seat, state of the art, theatre venue, that will be the ‘Arts Heart’ of Kingsmead. It is not only used as a performance area, but also for lectures, speeches and conferences and as a resource for the local community.
Our commitment to specialist status is reflected by all the productions, exhibitions and concerts we stage, the activities students and staff participate in, the projects we undertake and the community and business links we develop. These have included:
- Little Shop of Horrors/Matilda/West Side Story
- Theatre trips e.g. The Lyric Hammersmith, The Globe Theatre to see productions of ‘Othello’
- LAMDA Examinations
- Collaboration with the Chicken Shed Theatre
- Guest Authors
- BBC School Reports
- Numerous Fundraising and Charity events
- Dance and Drama Evenings
- Sports Award Evenings
- High Achiever Evenings
- Oscars Evening
- Integration projects with Primary Schools in the Borough
- Creating Art work for Ayley Croft Flats as part of their estate improvement
- Artwork displayed at Bush Hill Park Station
- Drama Christmas Pantomime Performance
- The annual Kingsmead Talent and Fashion Shows
- The School Choir singing Christmas Carols at local Rest Homes for the elderly.
- The work of our Leading Practitioners (LPs) in Drama and Music and Poetry.
- The School Choir singing at Morrisons to raise money for their charity of the year e.g. Childline and Help the Aged.
- Performing to local Primary School Students.
- Performance and Visual Arts (PVA) Days
- Spring, Summer and Christmas Concerts